Thoughts While Practicing the Exultet

Being the new deacon of the parish, and having a passable voice, I am singing the Exultet this Easter Vigil. In the old days, i.e., back in seminary days, I was a member of a Combo singing second tenor, member of a Cantor Schola and later, a member of the North American College Choir. As I said, “the old days” when I wasn’t so old.

So here I sit with a great recording of the Easter Exultet on i Tunes, a script from which to read, and singing aloud as best I can. You see, I am alone tonight, so no one can hear. I realize how out of shape my vocal chords are as after a single run through they are aching.

I think the idea will be to sing it once a day throughout Lent. Maybe not Good Friday. Wouldn’t seem appropriate that day. With a few weeks’ work, my cords will be in good working order.

Actually, I am looking forward to singing the Lord’s praises in the candlelight. A cappella. I hope to fill the church with the sound, “Rejoice, heavenly powers! Sing, choirs of angels! Exult all creation around God’s throne! Jesus Christ, our King, is risen!”

In that ancient song of praise, we enter into the heavenly chorus — we pilgrims of the earth.  What joy there is in our Church!

This entry was posted in General Interest. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Thoughts While Practicing the Exultet

1. Joe Weigel says:

Keep practicing. About 10 years ago when I started doing it I also practiced almost every day during the last few weeks of Lent. Another thing to remember is how you be will singing it at the Vigil. Will you be doing it by candlelight? It’s a lot harder to read/sing by candlelight then when you practice it at home under a bright lamp.

Sadly, I haven’t been asked yet to sing this exultet this year. Even if I do, my pastor is leaning towards me not vesting at the vigil as he doesn’t like to have more than one deacon vesting during the liturgy. As Deacon Green always said, “Yyour pastor is always right”. It is a good test of my obedience I guess.

Peace brother,

Joe Weigel

Gosh, Joe, I feel for you. I don’t know how I would be if I couldn’t vest for the Vigil.

I will sing with you in mind.

3. David says:

Deacon Bob,

thank you for your blog. What track are you using from Itunes, plus any other help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PAX,
    David

Deacon David,

What I did was log on to: http://moleski.net/exultet/index.htm
    On that page in the middle you will see two links. You can then listen/download the exultet. The man who sings it has the same voice range as I do, so I keep listening and singing. I downloaded the words from another site I do not recall.

After listening and singing many times, I run over to church and sing a capella with the sacramentary, which is what I will be using Holy Saturday night. Luckily for me, the parish church is only a half mile away.

Good luck, brother.

5. Deacon Joe says:

Although I will not be vested, this deacon will be singing the Exultet tonight at the Easter Vigil. I deem it a special this honor this year, for I will be in union with my brothers in the diaconate. Sing well brothers. Praise be Jesus Christ!

Deacon Joe

6. mary says:

I witnessed Deacon Bob singing the Exultet at the Easter Vigil and he did an excellent singing exhortation. We are all proud of him and happy for him as members of his family.