Congratulations, Diocese of Santa Rosa

The Holy Father this morning has chosen Bishop Robert F. Vasa to be coadjutor bishop of Santa Rosa in California. Bishop Vasa was the bishop of Baker, Oregon.

Being named coadjutor bishop means that he will immediately succeed the current bishop of Santa Rosa, Bishop Daniel F. Walsh, when Bishop Walsh resigns or dies.

Bishop Vasa was ordained a bishop in 2000. He studied in Texas and later at the Gregorian University in Rome.

Congratulations, diocese of Santa Rosa!

This entry was posted in Church News. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Congratulations, Diocese of Santa Rosa

1. brian says:

Any idea why Diocese of Santa Rosa needs a coadjutor?

I do not know. Bishop Walsh is into his 74th year, so it may be in anticipation of his retirement at age 75, as canon law stipulates.

3. Dean says:

Based on what I’ve read, this is concerning. He seems so conservative.

4. Wallace says:

Bishop Vasa is the real deal. Thanks be to God.

5. Tom says:

What do you mean by the real deal? If you want to a repressive, joyless leader I guess he’s your guy. In the years that Vasa spent in the Diocese of Baker many people left the church. As a result, a once vibrant and thriving community in Bend became a lifeless and indifferent parish. Most affected were the music ministry and youth programs. Finally, several warm and caring priests were replaced by priests who spoke to us as if we were small children rather than adults. My hope is that Bishop Vasa may have learned from some of his failures. My prayers are with the people of Santa Rosa.

6. Dean says:

This is exactly what I am afraid of. It is so out-of-step with what people I speak to really want. I fear many will leave the church at time when our parishes are in need of new members.

7. Alice says:

TOM is obviously one of those who does not know Bishop Vasa well, as do I. He is the holiest and yet most humble of men I have ever met. He brought my husband of many years into the faith and has become like family to us. He is dedicated to the Truth and not afraid to teach it. There are those who did not want to hear the Truth, seeking to have thier own set of “truth” rubber stamped, and when that did not happen they fled to the Lutheran or Episcopal churches showing only the weekness of their own faith. I feel sorry for them. As Pope Benedict has said; the Church will be smaller in years to come, but stronger! Santa Rosa has been truly blessed and we will miss him deeply.

Obviously, Bishop Vasa is a man of some significance in the minds and hearts of many people. I do not know him, nor have I heard of him until recently.

How does one adhere to and preach the Truth all the while transmitting the joy that is characteristic of a disciple of Jesus? My answer: By maintaining an intimate relationship with Him who is the Truth, and then by boldly proclaiming Him in word and action.

Anyone who knows Jesus knows joy even in the midst of hardship and testing. I trust Bishop Vasa knows our Lord.

9. Tom says:

Alice, how could you consider Bishop Vasa to be a humble man? He runs things with an iron fist and dismisses anyone who doesn’t see things his way. What about the loyalty oath he forced people involved in ministries to sign? One of the key points in this oath focused on the evils of homosexuality. Why then did he ordain a priest who was living in a house with other priests who were charged with sexual abuse of young men? Not to mention that this man was denied ordination by two other bishops? As for the people who have left, I doubt their faith in God was weak, rather their patience with church leadership had run out. The days of “pay, pray and obey” are long gone. We are the people of God and our voices need to be heard, not ignored. We need leaders who are sheperds and teachers, not enforcers of doctrine. Deacon Bob, I wholeheartedly agree with your definition of discipleship. I don’t doubt that Bishop Vasa knows the Lord, but I certainly didn’t feel the joy in the way he ran the Diocese of Baker.